Thursday, October 29, 2015

Willow, the gift shop and boutique at 843 Upshur, is pretty awesome. You should check it out



The other day I was exploring the Upshur Street strip and decided to pop in Willow, the newish gift shop and clothing boutique next to Petworth Citizen. And it's a pretty neat shop. It reminds me of something that would be in Hampden, Baltimore, which is a good thing -- neat clothes, quirky and funky gifts, some art, some prints, local neighborhood gifts, fun things for kids and a lot more.

Their website and Facebook page focus on women's fashion (maybe that's easier to sell online), but inside that's only a portion -- I saw a lot of funny baby onesies and such, some coasters with DC neighborhood maps on them, various Petworth-related prints and shirts, and other funny things -- various screen printed t-shirts, games, crafts, toiletries, and as somebody on Yelp put it, cute things for your coffee table. I didn't take pictures of it, but there was also a lot of women's clothing like dresses, tops and such -- my bad, there are more examples on their website and Facebook.

They also had a cool Petworth chalk mural-type thing with all the other Upshur Street businesses on there. Upshur is really growing into a cool little strip with restaurants, shops like Willow, Upshur Street Books, Bentley's Vintage, and more. And there's more coming -- Slim's Diner, the cocktail place Twisted Horn from the Hank's Oyster Bar folks, Timber Pizza Co., and more.

It's a neat place to browse and would be great for gifts for Christmas, birthdays, babies, and so on.  I wish there were more of these kinds of places around. Check it out.






4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree! It took me the longest time to go in there because I thought it was a women's clothing store. However, upon a visit to Petworth Citizen, I was shocked to see what they sold. Granted, they could have a bigger selection, but the "gift" options are super cool. Ive always thought we needed a place like Salt & Sundry in Petworth. Willow could be it! High end gifts would be welcomed!

Anonymous said...

I agree with the above commenter. I thought this was a women-only store, hence, why we've never visited. And I live three blocks away! If you talk to the owner again, Id suggest she expand the "gift" section. We drive up to the Blue House in Bethesda all the time. That would be a great place for inspiration. Or I also agree a Salt & Sundry type selection would be great.

Jimmy said...

Shoutout/thank you for giving some attention and kudos to this store! Perfect or not, its a great little bit of retail in Petworth

Willow said...

Thank you so much for the write-up! And - noted- we need to market the gifts better!