Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Anybody hearing loud booms near Meridian Hill Park and DCUSA?

Is anybody hearing loud booms in the area? Yesterday a reader posted on the blog's Facebook page asking if anybody else noticed some loud sounds, and I spoke to them about it afterwards. They said they were located on 14th near DCUSA and Meridian Hill Park and the sounds seemed to be nearby. Here's some from our conversation:
It started Friday night, around 1am. There was this boom that woke me up and set off car alarms on my street, then like, five minutes later it happened again. It happened periodically all weekend, sometimes in the middle of the day, sometimes later in the evening. Overall I've heard it now maybe 5 or 6 times. And there are never sirens or anything after... Since then, it's happened in the middle of the day, or in the evening.
The reader also said it sounded like a huge boom or a really loud crack of thunder, but there wasn't any storm in the area, and I checked a lightning maps website and didn't see anything. They also said it didn't sound like a gunshot or fireworks, it was more of a boom than a pop. 

Anyone hear the same thing, or have any ideas? I haven't heard anything in northern Columbia Heights around Spring Road.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heard the same thing a couple times over the past couple of days. I'm on the northeast corner of meridian hill park.

Anonymous said...

I haven't heard it this summer, but last summer there seemed to be a lot of fireworks being set off (both before and long after 4th of July). I heard them set off in the alley in the 1300 block of Florida, but didn't quite believe that's what it was until I saw it on the 1400 block of Belmont. That was in the middle of the day.

Anonymous said...

Yes! Today around 2:45ish outside of Potbelly's and the metro station on 14th. I heard a reeeeallly loud boom and saw some smoke. Some people ducked for cover, but no one was panicking. I thought it was bizarre enough to check local blogs to see what was up.

Anonymous said...

Yes! I live on 16th near Park and I've heard them all night tonight. One just woke me up. The first time I heard it I was in the phone with my mother and she heard it on the other end. What is going on??

Anonymous said...

I just heard it too, it woke me up anybody know what's going on?

Anonymous said...

I was at 16th and Euclid about 10:15-10:30 last night and heard some booms from the other side of the Park and then what sounded very much like 3-4 gunfire pops. Nothing in the news so far...