Friday, May 8, 2015

These giant numbers on a condo at 14th and Spring are really ugly


Longtime readers of this blog may know that I talk about fonts sometimes: in particular, when the city put up some ugly new street signs with a variety of typefaces and sizes on them (they looked horrible.)

And something just caught my eye: this condo building at 14th and Spring Rd NW has some giant address numbers on it, probably five feet tall, and they look really bad.

I guess it's good to try something new with your building, but these look like the address numbers you buy for a buck at the hardware store -- the cheapest ones they have. If you're going to put huge numbers on an otherwise fine looking building, which are presumably pretty expensive, why not get attractive or modern-looking ones?

There are certainly bigger things to complain about, but then again, what's life without little annoyances?

8 comments:

Eric said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eric said...

Well at least you can't get lost finding your way home! But I indeed agree with your assessment. (Reposted my comment; I need to do a better job at proofreading!)

IsmeSon said...

I agree, they're horrendous. They're not painted but raised numbers, so they must've been a custom order. They remind me of what you'd see on a chintzy motel in some second rate beachtown.

Anonymous said...

The bigger travesty is the 7-Eleven going into the ground floor of the condos at 14th & Quincy. Who would want to live about that? It's also bad for the neighborhood.

Nancy Pope said...

Maybe ugly, but I'd take that over my building that doesn't see fit to put an address on the outside and has a big sign with the building name next to the loading dock entrance.

Calling for a cab can be an experience.

Jacqui said...

As a former fire fighter and medical first responder, I think these numbers are great. When you're driving by they're easy to see, and that can be the crucial difference between getting to someone in time or not. I also think they look perfectly fine and fit the aesthetic of the building.

Anonymous said...

Red Rape Line--Warning for all of metro
I stopped a rape on the Red line this morning. It was in the happy hunting grounds between SS and Glenmont. After stopping the criminal, we attempted to report the incident, but the station masters were not inclined to act and shrugged it off. They are aiding and abetting these rapes and murders.

Andrew W said...

Anon, you should immediately call police then.