Tuesday, August 5, 2014

What are good places to telework in our area?


The other day I got a chance to telework, something I'm not familiar with, and I was trying to think of a good spot. I decided on Qualia Coffee up at Georgia and Randolph, as I figured it wouldn't be too crowded and there's a big patio spot. There actually was a decent crowd but I was able to find a shaded spot in the back.

That got me thinking, what are other good places to telework in our area? I always see folks with laptops at Tynan Coffee & Tea at 14th and Irving, but they also had a no-laptops-before-3pm rule to make sure people didn't camp out there for hours working and only have one coffee, thus preventing other customers from staying. I'm checking to see if they still do that. (In general I think a good rule of thumb is that if you're going to hang out somewhere for a few hours, at least buy a couple of things -- these are our local businesses after all.)

I also think The Coupe at 11th and Park and Coffy Cafe, the tasty coffee, tea & creperie on 14th just north of Irving and Panera could be good options, all are fairly large inside. And of course there's the Starbucks at 14th and Irving, but it's always crowded.

There's some local libraries too, but they wouldn't let you snack or drink coffee I bet.

What do you think, local teleworkers? Any recommendations or spots to avoid? 

9 comments:

JR said...

Pretty sure DC Reynolds will let you camp out in the afternoon hours.

Kenny said...

Le Caprice on 14th has great food, outdoor + indoor options and solid WIFI

TNN said...

Panera has a 30 minute limit on their wifi. I second Le Caprice!

IsmeSon said...

Milk Cult - the daytime coffeehouse pop up at Park View Patio - is a good lowkey spot. Plenty of room to spread out, it's always so empty there, usually just the 2-3 guys from Milk Cult, myself, and maybe 2 other people also teleworking. Good wifi, great coffee, nice music selection overhead, and breakfast tacos all day!

I also like The Coupe.

Anonymous said...

Nothing kills the vibe of a place faster than a roomful of glassy-eyed teleworkers.

Anonymous said...

Isn't Milk Cult gone now? I used to go there a few months back, but I haven't seen it recently at PV Patio

Mike Naple said...

Coffy Cafe is a great place to telework, study, or just relax with a good book. The coffee is top-notch. The food, especially the crepes, are delicious and make for a tasty snack to pair with work. Both the patrons and the employees are pleasant. My favorite part of working from there - I wrote most of my graduate thesis projec there - is the music, and the old-school R&B jams.

Andrew W said...

Milk Cult is indeed gone, they said on Twitter they were looking for a different space. I believe they're doing some stuff in Union Market. They were great though.

Jacqui said...

Lyman's Tavern has wifi and plugs right at the bar. It opens at 11am.