Thursday, May 2, 2013

Sportsman's Liquors is cool -- but want some smoked salmon-flavored vodka?

What The other day I stopped into Sportsman's Liquors, located at 3249 Mt. Pleasant Street NW (right at Park) and I was impressed. I was looking for Green Hat Gin, the locally made gin from New Columbia Distillers, and while they didn't have it, the friendly guy at the counter offered me a sample of another gin called New Amsterdam, which was tasty.

The place has a good selection and pretty good prices, and while it's a little farther than my favorite spot, CC's Liquors at 14th and Monroe, it's worth a visit if you live nearby.

Something else funny about the place is the random things they have, like this smoked salmon-flavored vodka. I can't think of a use for it -- maybe at breakfast, but who drinks vodka for breakfast? With orange juice it would probably be pretty weird. Then again, I guess Alaskans get pretty bored up there.


Jon said...

The liquor store at Irving and Mt Pleasant usually has Green Hat.

Andrew C said...

Random fact about Sportsman Liquors is that it a shot of the front of the store was frequently used in the TV show Bones. For the first five or six seasons the main character, Agent Booth, supposedly lived the apartment above the store so they'd show a shot of the outside of the building for a scene in his apartment.

I used to live right around the corner from Sportsmans. It is a good place.

MH said...

First, the Salmon Vodka is more smokey than Salmon is supposed to taste like smoked salmon.

And it is useful for making bloody marys.

Andrew W said...

Ah, I could see that. I was mostly thinking of sweet drinks and that sounded awful.

MH said...

Yeah, I can see some mixologists might use a dash of it in something sweet to give it a bit of smoke flavor, but wouldn't expect you to use it as a primary alcohol for a screwdriver or anything:)

Anonymous said...

As much as I'd like to support the local stuff, Green Hat gin is pretty terrible. It's too mild and off in spicing. Alcohol bite is high. It just sucks.
If you want it though, you can get it at D'Vines.