Monday, February 11, 2013

ANC 1B readout: Consumer protection organization expanding to DC

by the Otis Place correspondent

ANC meetings are great for getting ahead of neighborhood news.  At the ANC 1B meeting a representative of the National Center for Prevention of Home Improvement or Home Repair Contractor Fraud, whose site is www.ncphif.org, announced the non-profit organization is coming to DC. If I heard correctly, they’re moving into offices on the U Street corridor.

According to their website, Executive Director Phae Howard founded the organization after her grandmother was victimized. “I was shocked at how easy contractor fraud was.  I don’t know how much money my Grandmother lost, but I absolutely remember the pain on her face.”

I too have seen the embarrassment and financial strain of elderly relatives who were ripped off by fraudulent contractors.  Welcome to the neighborhood, NCPHIF.  Now, if I could only figure out how to pronounce your acronym.

Anyone who lives on the southern edge of Columbia Heights may want to attend ANC 1B meetings.  They’re held in the second floor community room of the Reeves Center (14th and U Streets) at 7:00 p.m. on the first Thursday of every month. Their site is http://www.anc1b.org/

No comments: