Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Better Know Your ANC Candidates: ANC 1A10



The sixth in our Better Know Your ANC Candidates series is fightin' ANC 1A10, which you can see at right.

The idea with these posts is that you can learn about who is running for the ANC in your area and if you'd like, be able to learn more about them via their websites or emails. The ANC advises the city council on local issues and also can issue grants, hold events, and approve or deny liquor licenses.

There's a map of all the ANCs here.

ANC 1A10 is currently represented by Lenwood Johnson, who I've written about a number of times before (and not positively.) He's running against Anthony Cimino. Cimino's responses are below; Johnson did not respond to numerous emails.

1. Tell us a bit about yourself.
My wife Dawn and I live on Irving Street--we bought our home a little over three years ago. I've lived in the neighborhood for the past six years. We are very active in our community and we've been fortunate to make great friends in our neighborhood. I am originally from California. I graduated from UCLA and am in the final year of my part-time MBA at Johns Hopkins. I have worked for and with Congress since coming to DC, and my wife has recently started her own business, working out of our home.

2. Why are you running for ANC?
I'm running because I think I can serve the neighborhood and work to improve many of the challenges we all have worked on and still face. My neighbors – new and long-time residents alike – have come together on their own to address some of the challenges we faced. We started with illegal dumping – that grew to neighborhood trash clean-up, graffiti, and working with the city to stop drugs sales, and rat abatement.

We made progress on those issues, but as I talked to other neighbors from surrounding blocks within our district it became clear that they have many of the same struggles. I will serve those residents by helping address those issues, as well as unique concerns they may have.

I have come to admire and respect the heritage of this community and the strong, diverse group of residents that live here today. For too long those residents – my neighbors – have not had an ANC Commissioner that is committed to serving them. I will. I will be responsive and responsible. I will work to address their problems and make sure their voice is heard. I will help us build the clean, safe community that benefits everyone.

3. What are the biggest issues confronting your district?
Quality-of-life issues such as trash, illegal dumping, rats and graffiti affect us daily. Whether it is trash and illegal dumping that attracts rats, or graffiti and public safety, residents want to see improvements made in these areas. But my district is also invested in the development of Georgia Avenue. It is important that residents have a voice as that development occurs so the progress reflects the residents input and ultimately serves the community.

4. What do you think the ANC can do better?
The Commission, I think, has done a better job of communicating what is going on in the neighborhood, but that information has not filtered down to the residents in my particular district. I meet so many residents, long-time and new, that not only have specific issues they want addressed, but also want to know what is going on in the neighborhood. They want to be engaged, they want to be informed, they want to participate. But there is a disconnect between what the Commission and other organizations are working on and what the residents in my specific district have communicated to them. As a result, the Commission and other organizations miss out on this valuable resource of engaged and caring residents.

5. What do you think the area needs more of?
The residents, I think, need to have more input and their needs better addressed. Also, there are a number of vacant and neglected properties on Georgia Ave., so I am interested in making sure residents have a voice in Georgia Ave.’s development.

6. One of the ANC's jobs is to regulate liquor licenses. What are your thoughts on these issues? 
Every situation is different. Things like the type of liquor license applied for, the location, the type of business, and what, if any voluntary agreements the applicant agrees to would inform my decision. But most importantly, residents have a right to be aware of what is being considered and have their views heard. It will be my goal on all questions before the Commission – not just liquor license applications – to ensure that the views of residents I serve are heard and appreciated.

Campaign website, Facebook, Twitter, email, phone number and other information: 

TOGETHER WE CAN DO MORE—PLEASE JOIN US!
Join Anthony’s E-mail List: Anthonycimino4anc@gmail.com
Like Anthony on Facebook: “Anthony Cimino for ANC 1A10
Have Questions or Concerns? Call Anthony: 202.670.2629
Website: anthonycimino4anc.com

No comments: