Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Rant: it's called the Columbia Heights Civic Plaza

Here's something that's been bothering me a bit lately: the triangle at the intersection of 14th, Park and Kenyon is called the Columbia Heights Civic Plaza, but I've seen lots of other names floating around: Tivoli Plaza, Kenyon Plaza, Columbia Heights Triangle, various things with fountain in the name and so on. It's a nice place, let's call it by one name. It'll be a lot easier than "you know, the triangle plaza place with the fountain near the Giant and stuff."

For example, official sources like the Columbia Heights Streetscape's now-defunct website and the city's Public Realm Plan calls it the Columbia Heights Civic Plaza. (which is also below for your reading enjoyment, though it's 124 pages.)

There's some cool videos shot there too, like this from a festival (and of course the skateboarding dog.)


CHPR Plan Full

9 comments:

Jon said...

Maybe if it had a better name, people would use it.

Anonymous said...

FroZenYo plaza would be most appropriate

Anonymous said...

It would have been awesome if the plaza+streets turned out looking like they did in the plans!

Andrew W said...

Jon, I think it's a fine name.

Anon #1, hahaha. Empanadaplaza.

Anonymous said...

I moved into the neighborhood about 10 months ago and every person I've met refers to it as Tivoli Square. If anyone's concerned about the name, maybe put a nice artsy sign up to clarify?

Comment said...

Anon, sounds like you've only been meeting fellow newbies, who wouldn't know any better.

Agree with the first Anon, wish it had actually ended up looking like that!

element94 said...

I know it's sort of late to be joining this conversation, but actually, this post got me thinking and the last time I went to the plaza I asked around and nobody really had a name for it. I only got two responses: "La Fuente" and "Los Chorros." Maybe I talked to the wrong people? I definitely didn't get any of the names I've seen online, though, or even Columbia Heights Civic Plaza. Has anyone else gotten this kind of response?

element94 said...

I know it's sort of late to be joining this conversation, but actually, this post got me thinking and the last time I went to the plaza I asked around and nobody really had a name for it. I only got two responses: "La Fuente" and "Los Chorros." Maybe I talked to the wrong people? I definitely didn't get any of the names I've seen online, though, or even Columbia Heights Civic Plaza. Has anyone else gotten this kind of response?

Andrew W said...

Well, La Fuente and Los Chorros mean the fountain and the jets in Spanish, so I guess Spanish speaking people just call it that.