Tuesday, April 17, 2012

What are good wi-fi spots in the neighborhood?

Last weekend, I decided to get out and do some work at a coffee shop. I chose Panera, because I like it and there are lots of seats (though finding one is another matter sometimes.) However, turns out the wifi there is very, very slow. I soon gave up and returned home.

But in the meantime I put the query out on Twitter asking for some other good spots to spend some time with a laptop, and I got some answers. Feel free to provide your own in the comments, though.

Coffee-wise, Tynan at 14th and Irving and Flying Fish in Mt. Pleasant were suggested, though Tynan has a no-laptop-before-3pm rule on weekends and also a time limit, so that was out for me. I understand why they have the rule though, as it's a small place and you don't want people hanging out for hours with just a coffee if you can't fit anybody else inside. I'll have to try Flying Fish though.

Sankofa, the bookstore and coffee shop at 2714 Georgia, and the new Coffy Cafe were also suggested. Sankofa opens at 9 on Saturday and 11 on Sunday. There's also Columbia Heights Coffee on 11th, the grandaddy of neighborhood coffee shops, which has free wifi but is quite small, and Sticky Fingers on Park. And Starbucks on 14th, of course, but that place is often mobbed on the weekends. The one at Georgia and Bryant might be an option, though, and Starbucks now has free wifi.

As for restaurants, if you were getting lunch or something you could do work at The Heights or Dulcinea, both of which were mentioned by Twitter folks. I presume you'd have to buy a meal though.

So those are my ideas, did I miss any good spots?


6 comments:

Jeff said...

Sticky Fingers turns off its wifi on the weekend, fyi.

Anonymous said...

La Caprice has free wifi

Anonymous said...

I'm going to be a cranky crank and object to your objection to places that have a time limit or purchase requirement for WiFi. I'm completely in favor of a 1 or 2-hour limit with minimum $5 purchase. There are coffee shops and Paneras that I won't patronize anymore because the vast majority of the seats are taken by camped out laptop users. If they don't have internet access at home or somewhere else, fine. If they just want a change of scene, either buy something more than a soda or move along so that other paying customers can have a seat for a few minutes.

Andrew W said...

I wouldn't say I am objecting to it. I get why places have a limit, and I support that generally, but I'm also glad there are some places that don't have one. But yes, having a minimum purchase is probably ideal.

Anonymous said...

The folks at Le Caprice are very friendly about people lingering to use their free Wi-Fi.

adnemsta said...

I object to places that are packed with zombied-out Wifi leeches, manically refreshing their twitter feeds. Besides the lack of seating, the atmosphere in such places tends to suck.