If you're looking for a school for your kids, here's one local option, Creative Minds International Public Charter School. They just sent me this press release:
Creative Minds International Public Charter School (www.creativemindspcs.org) is a new elementary school opening to the public in September 2012 for PK3 through 2nd grade (and we are adding a grade every year up to middle school).
CMI-PCS will be located in the Mt. Pleasant neighborhood, at 16th St. & Park (we are moving into the space currently occupied by Capital City Upper School- 3224 16th Street NW). There will be 30 spaces for 3 year olds, 30 spaces for 4 year olds, plus one class (limited to 15 students) each for K-2.
We will be holding open houses in the upcoming weeks:
Open House dates (held at the school location currently occupied by Cap City):
Saturday, February 25, 2012 from 11-12
Saturday, March 10, 2012 from 11-12
Wednesday, March 14, 2012 from 6:30-7:30 p.m.
Some highlights about what the school features that is so unique:
1) Commitment to small classrooms--no class larger than 15 children
2) International Primary Curriculum--we will be the first and only public school offering this curriculum in DC. Families who want the IPC would have to go to private schools in our city. It's a superior curriculum that is project and very hands on to engage students’ love of learning. The IPC has the arts incorporated into every subject of the curriculum.
3) In addition to IPC, we will offer traditional arts education, including a full-time music and movement program that children will attend up to once per day.
4) Extended day enrichment courses will include language programs (options include Spanish, Chinese, and Arabic). Pick up is at 5:30pm (and the school day can begin as early as 8:15am for breakfast drop off).
5) The Creative Minds International PCS program incorporates Dr. Stanley Greenspan’s developmental approach to education in order to support individual learning styles that are explained by differences in the ways children process information.
To learn more about the program, check out our website at: www.creativemindspcs.org
We are very pleased to have this smaller school option with such a heavy emphasis on creativity and social/emotional-development. If you want more information or have questions, please let me know. Or please join us for an open house visit!