As mentioned previously, Saturday is the North Columbia Heights Civic Association's Great Day of Service, which includes a ton of yard sales around the neighborhood. However, there's also a lot more you can do, including a neighborhood cleanup, community service fair, clothing donations, artists and more:
Weather permitting, here is the final schedule for Saturday, April 2nd. If there are any changes / updates, they will be posted on www.northcolumbiaheights.org:
– 9:30 A.M. to 11:30 A.M.: Neighborhood Clean-Up sponsored by NCHCA. Meet and pick-up supplies on 11th between Park and Monroe. Please bring your own gloves if you have them! Volunteers at the clean-up get 25% off brunch at Meridian Pint at a post clean-up community brunch.
– 10:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M.: Community Service Fair at the Columbia Heights Civic Plaza. Organizations present include, among others, LIFT-DC, Bloombars, CH Community Marketplace, CH Great Day ofService, The Family Place, Thrive DC, Greater DC Cares, Community of Hope, NWCHCA, NCHCA, For Love of Children, local churches that emphasize service projects.
– 10:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M.: 826DC has two events at the Civic Plaza: (1) Poets of every age, beginner and expert, are invited to add a limerick, haiku, iambic pentameter, or modern rhythms to the branches of the hallowed Poetree. Be inspired by your surroundings! All poems are welcome. (2) Aspiring cartoonists! Come wield your pens, markers and crayons, and let 826DC volunteers guide your cartooning talents into comic strip templates. Think outside the box, but draw inside the lines!
– 11:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M.: Donate home goods and clothing at the Civic Plaza to benefit Community of Hope and AMVETS. Please bring the following goods: http://www.communityofhopedc.org/kind-donations and http://www.amvetspickup.org/.
– 10:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M.: Bloombars artists, working with local youth they are mentoring, will be painting a community mural at the Giant Grocery. Drop by and watch, as well as participate in chalkings outside the Giant.
– Local bands will be performing at the Civic Plaza at the following times: 10:00 A.M. to 12:30 P.M.: West Market Trio; 1:00 P.M. to 1:30 P.M.: Chris Bacon; 2:00 P.M. to 2:45 P.M.: Lady Pcoq & the Plumes; 3:15 P.M. to close: Gringo.
– 9:30 A.M. to 4:00 P.M.: Don't forget to drop by the neighborhood community yard sales all around Columbia Heights, sponsored by Columbia Heights Day. More info here: http://www.columbiaheightsday.