Sounds like a really neat event: Jim Graham posted this on the Ward One listserve, an event celebrating Cardozo High School's history and its renovation. Chuck Brown, if you're unfamiliar, is the Godfather of Go-Go, DC's home-grown funk music style. One of his big hits was "Bustin' Loose," which was later reinterpreted as "Hot in Herre" by Nelly. I also like a newer song, "Block Party" -- see the videos below. There's lots more good videos on Youtube. Marvin Gaye went to Cardozo, as well, and there are some Marvin Gaye-themed events on Friday too.
I am happy to invite you to the Cardozo High School “Last Curtain Call” concert on December 9 with DC’s Chuck Brown and Cardozo‘s home grown original Marvin Gaye’s group that started on Cardozo’s stage in the 60’s, The Marquees.
The event will take place in the Historical Cardozo Auditorium on December 9, 2011 from 8:00 until 11:00 p.m. to commemorate the modernization and closing of the 95 year old Historic School on the Hill until it re-opens totally revitalized in August, 2013.
Tickets are just $25 in advance and $30 at the door and can be purchased at Cardozo High School (1200 Clifton Street, NW –202-673-7385) and at the African American Civil War Museum (1925 Vermont Ave, NW – 202-667-2667).
THE EVENT SHEDULE
- Doors open at 6:30 p.m. -- Open Seating -- Vendors, Food, CD’s, Meet our Guests
- On the Stage Starting at 8:00 p.m.
- The Cardozo High School Marching Band’s Tribute to Chuck and Marvin
- Tribute to Marvin Gaye—The Original Marquees and Paul Waldron
- Cardozo Thespians—If Marvin Gaye had Met Chuck Brown at Cardozo…
- Chuck Brown and the GOGO SoundThanks to Principal Grant and Cardozo High School for extending an invitation to this celebratory and fun-filled event.Bests, Councilmember Jim Graham