NSO in Your Neighborhood: Columbia HeightsCall for Activity Requests
The National Symphony Orchestra will collaborate with community organizations to present a number of performances and educational activities in Columbia Heights January 3-8, 2012. The NSO is accepting requests for activities from organizations and venues in and around Columbia Heights. The deadline for submissions is Friday, September 23.
For more information and to submit a request, visit http://www.kennedy-center.org/nso/community/NSO_iyn.cfm or email Warren Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please spread the word!
- Chamber Music Performances: Small groups of NSO musicians perform classical music for adults and/or family audiences.
- Night Clubs: Classical music can be enjoyed everywhere. NSO musicians perform in relaxed night clubs or other small venues for intimate musical experiences.
- "In-School" Ensembles: A small group of musicians perform and demonstrate their instruments for a school program. Best for grades 1-8.
- Community Service Performances: NSO musicians perform at various community venues (churches, businesses, etc.).
- Conducting: NSO conductors or musicians work with and conduct college or high school small ensembles, orchestras, or bands.
- Sectionals/Coachings: Musicians work with a group of students who play the same instrument on current repertoire (e.g. the NSO clarinetist would work with the clarinet section of your ensemble).
- Clinics: NSO members coach groups on musical topics (intonations, reed making, etc.).
- Master Classes: Individual students perform for an NSO musician who then critiques the performance and offers constructive advice for an audience of other students and teachers.
- Pre-Concert Events: NSO members hold lectures and panel discussions before NSO concerts for audience members.
- Method Workshops: Popular workshops include Suzuki string classes or Alexander Technique.
- Artistic Exchanges: Explore the diverse forms of music native to your cultural heritage and how it has influenced classical music (Native American drumming, Mariachi bands, etc.).
- Music Appreciation Classes: NSO members introduce students to classical music in fun and interactive classes.
- Instrument "Petting Zoos": Children get a hands-on experience with the various orchestral instruments.
- Speakers Bureau: NSO members and staff speak at public events, at board meetings, with music teachers and principals, or at other special gatherings.
- Arts Professionals Round Table: NSO staff members meet with other arts professionals to discuss topics of mutual interests and to share ideas.
- Create Your Own: Have something else in mind? Come up with an idea or event and let us know! We will work to develop a program that suits your needs