Thursday, January 13, 2011

Ellwood Thompson's cancels lease. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Good riddance. DCist reports the Richmond organic grocer put out a press release that they've terminated their lease in DCUSA.

I don't know about you, but I was sick of hearing about them almost being super close to very nearly signing a lease -- for the last two years. Hopefully we can get something useful in there that actually wants to be there, realizes there are customers waiting and hoping, and doesn't jerk everyone around.

What would you like to see? Trader Joe's would be pretty great.

If you want to relive the futility, here's all the posts I've written over the years about this stupid store. For awhile there I believed them when they said they were close to opening, but considering each time I asked them they said they were almost there and never provided any details, it became obvious that they either didn't have the money or the ability to open the store. I'm annoyed that I wasted so much time writing about them.

Have fun in Richmond. We'll be spending our dollars somewhere else.

UPDATE: Wash Biz Journal reports that DCUSA's broker has been in touch with "several grocery operators" and "We believe it's a viable grocery opportunity and there are a number of groups interested," he said, though he would not specify which. "That's the direction we're planning on going in."

10 comments:

The Gup said...

at least it is final now. I hope they find another similar type of grocer to compete with Giant.

!!!!OR!!!!

another gym to compete with WSC...WOW i would love to quit WCS!!!

Z said...

I still want to see a book store, either a Barnes and Noble type deal or a Second Story Books/other smaller chain. Even if not in DCUSA, I'd love to see one pop up somewhere.

Since it seems to be going towards a grocery chain, I'd love to see a Trader Joes.

Tom Veil said...

Good riddance, indeed! I'd like to see a hardware store (Cooper is pathetically understocked) or a gardening store.

Anonymous said...

I like the tone of your blog ... I'm with you GOOD RIDDENCE!!!! They never had the will or desire to be in Columbia Heights.

Anonymous said...

A Trader Joe's would be amazing!!! If you talk to DCUSA again tell them that's what we all want!! :)

Anonymous said...

Please Trader Joe, bring your delicious food stuffs to Columbia Heights. I would stop there every night to pick up dinner.

WildSheep said...

Adding to the chorus of calls for Trader Joe's. I'd be there every day too.

Anonymous said...

I am so mad at them for hoarding that space for so long. Thank goodness they are gone. I hadn't shopped at Trader Joe's since moving into the city a few years ago. Foggy Bottom is just too crowded. But I went there over the weekend, and I realized how much I miss it. I'd love to see a TJ's in Columbia Heights!

Anonymous said...

Trader Joe's! Andrew, please tell them that the people have spoken!

Greta said...

Definitely Trader Joes. I wrote an email to Trader Joes recommending Columbia Heights as a location spot, with a pretty detailed description of why it would be a great place for them to be.