Monday, November 29, 2010

Did you spend Thanksgiving in DC? What did you do?

Welcome back for those of you who left the neighborhood for Thanksgiving, and hello to the few who didn't -- I saw on the news that 1 million people left the metro area this holiday, pretty wild. This year was the first time I stayed in the city for turkey time, and it was a pretty odd experience. I'm interested in hearing other people's experiences in DC, but here's mine.

For one, the city is pretty much deserted. On Thursday evening a friend and I were walking to a friend's on 16th and both 14th Street and U Street were empty. We could cross with no light and there wasn't a car within blocks.

Most stores were closed -- as shoppers going to Target on Thanksgiving found out, when a security guard had to tell them all it was closed. I figured they'd be open too. Later I was looking for a bottle of wine or some beer to bring to a friend's on Thursday and the only liquor store open I saw was the one at 14th and Florida. Was going to stop by D'Vines but they closed early.

Most local bars were closed, though Meridian Pint was open serving beer only, and Duffy's Irish Pub at 9th and Florida was too. The Black Cat was open too and there was a small crowd.

If you stayed in DC, what did you do?

4 comments:

Z said...

I came down on Tuesday night from my school in Westchester, NY with my sister ( who lives in Brooklyn ) to visit my dad. After about a 40 minute delay getting up to the GWB, it was smooth sailing on calm seas - the roads were pretty crowded for midnight to three AM, but there was no traffic. We got in around 3:30 and had no trouble finding a spot on 13th between Monroe and Otis.

Wednesday was mostly spent cooking; we did venture out at about 7 to CVS ( which was pretty dead ) and then Chipotle ( which was packed ). Stop and Shop had every line open and lines at all of them, but we didn't venture in there. We did make a stop to Best Buy, which was open until 10 and had a small amount of people wandering around.

Thursday we wanted to go out to a Target/Radio Shack/Best Buy/Bed Bath and Beyond for an antenna for his TV, but everything was closed, so we cooked and ate and had friends over. The neighborhood was nice and quiet - I'm surprised that a million left the area. The streets were pretty empty, and the sanctity of the fire hydrant spot was respected for pretty much the entire night.

Friday afternoon we went to Jaleo in Chinatown. Both places were packed - Chinatown was crawling with locals, tourists, and folks going to the Capitals game, and Jaleo was on the verge of having a wait list. From there, my sister went to the museums while my dad and I went to the Macy's in Metro Center. By now it was about 3 PM, and the store was pretty quiet - except for the women's shoe department, which one associate said had been insane all day ( and I'm sure was crazed all evening too ).

Saturday we went out of Columbia Heights again to the restaurant Kushi, which was pretty damn good.

All in all, a damn good week. The neighborhood was quiet, as you said. Sorry, this turned out to be a lot longer than I wanted it to be!

Anonymous said...

Are you kidding? Thanksgiving weekend, the week between Christmas and New Year's and most of August when Congress goes into recess are the best times of the year in D.C., particularly Thanksgiving and Christmas.

gup said...

+1 to Anonymous!

Williams said...

I agree with Anonymous too. I LOVE staying in DC instead of traveling and dealing with all that nonsense. The city is much more calm and relaxed. And the bar scene (the wednesday before thanksgiving) and the parties always seem to be a better time than normal.