Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Rumor: Pizza Hut coming to 14th and Fairmont

Just got a tip from a reader, who heard from a local business owner that there may be a Pizza Hut coming to the vacant space at 14th and Fairmont, in the Columbia Uptown building. It's on the east side of 14th, and the space used to be a convenience store with a decent beer selection, which closed last year or so.

I have no idea on the timeline or how certain or far along this is. As with a lot of the places coming in lately (like Z-Burger), I'm of two minds about this -- I like to see empty retail spaces filled, but I'm not thrilled it's a Pizza Hut. Then again, it's fairly far from the main retail center of the neighborhood so there's less foot traffic, which means getting a nice restaurant or cool store in this location would be pretty surprising. Pizza Hut, being mainly a delivery place, wouldn't need much foot traffic to survive.

Your thoughts?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I guess I can expect the eaten wing total on the sidewalk to quadruple.

Anonymous said...

Solution: Boneless Wings.

Anonymous said...

combination taco bell/pizza hut?? i'd get down with that.

Anonymous said...

I live across the street and I'm just happy to hear that there is movement around my area. how about a pizza hut/taco bell/kfc combo! I think they have one of those in Kingstowne.

Anonymous said...

It seems like all of the inexpensive chains are just moving farther north on 14th. That's cool but I wish there were some nicer choices too.

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen a kentacohut since college; I'd absolutely be down with that.

Mark said...

I also live across the street.

While I'm concerned about my dog trying to eat the inevitable piles of chicken bones (what is wrong with people!?), and about the potential for this to become a thug hangout at nights... overall, I'm happy that retail locations are finally moving in on my block!

A kentacohut would get a ton of my business.

Tom Veil said...

I'll keep going to Pete's, but it can only be a good thing for the neighborhood to have a pizza chain that will compete on price.