Friday, September 10, 2010

New urgent care center opening on 14th

Just spotted this at about 14th and Girard, next to the Dunkin Donuts: it's Medics USA, a primary and urgent care place. There's one in Dupont Circle, and while this sort of place might not be for everything (and Howard U hospital is pretty close)  I suppose it couldn't hurt to have more doctors nearby.

I'm of two minds about the place in general though, in that it's nice there's a tenant in an area with lots of empty storefronts, but the sign alone is pretty junky looking. You couldn't find a font other than Cooper Black?

4 comments:

John Dewar said...

I have never known anyone to have a good experience at one of these places. They also don't take insurance, if I remember correctly. I'd rather see the CVS get a Minute Clinic.

JN said...

I've had multiple bad experiences at the one in Dupont, and have since stopped going there:

1) After I told the Dr. what I did at my day job (web marketing and online outreach), he constantly asked me for free help with his website. Very unprofessional.

2) Many of the people who treat you are medical students who don't seem to know what they are doing.

I recommend avoiding this place.

LJ said...

I had a decent experience at Medics USA in Dupont - I went in for a quick lab test one weekday morning. I waited for about 10 minutes without an appointment. They're not great, but that's ideally why you have a personal physician at a hospital. These guys will be good to have nearby when you come down with strep throat in the middle of the workweek.

And they took my insurance without any problem.

Anonymous said...

I've been to the Dupont branch a number of times for common problems and have always had a satisfactory experience. They are great if you get sick and need to see someone today ... I like my GP but I can never get in to see him right away. They've always taken my insurance, and they are a lot less expensive than a trip to the ER. I also like their automated prescription vending machine which can save you a long wait at the pharmacy ... which is the last thing you want to do if you are sick.

Does anyone know when this place is opening? The sign has been up for a while.