Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Did you vote? How was your voter experience?

How did your voting go today? I voted at the Latin American Youth Center at 1419 Columbia Rd NW and went by at about 9:30 am. There was no line and I got my ballot quickly. There were a few people waiting to use the electronic station so I did paper instead, and I was in and out in about 5 minutes total, with my "I voted" sticker.

There were a smattering of campaigners out front, maybe a half dozen total representing Weaver, Gray, and Graham. I didn't see any Fenty folks.

How did it go for you? Any problems or see anything unusual?

Polls are open until 8 pm tonight as well.


Anonymous said...

Voted at Cesar Chavez school at Sherman and Kenyon at around 9 am. 120 people had voted by optical scan, not sure how many touch screeners. There were about 15-20 people inside voting or in line. Vincent Orange and Fenty had folks with signs outside, didn't see any other electioneering.

Took about 10 minutes to get through the process. Pretty well staffed and smooth although zero privacy in the voting booths, you could watch your fellow voters fill in their ovals.

Anonymous said...

I voted early at the Chevy Chase Community Center and it was a breeze. I used the touch screen and it was so easy. I liked that the machine had a paper trail built in (unlike where I previously lived in VA) as a precaution. I was in and out in just a few minutes. I love that DC offers early voting for any reason; in VA you have to adhere to a limited list of reasons (so most people end up lying to get in).

IsmeSon said...

Even though Raymond Elementary is across the street from me, my assigned polling station is at another elementary school on Upshur St between 13th and 14th. Voting was smooth, quick, and easy. ZERO lines, ZERO wait. An elderly gentleman was tackling the electronic ballot machine which the election volunteers were very proud of so I opted for the paper ballot. My one bummer, no election bake sale by the school's PTSA :-(

P.J. Orvetti said...

No problems, no lines at Precinct 42 this morning at 7:30 for me and at 11:30 for my wife.

Anonymous said...

I voted at the church at 16th and Meridian.

Pretty sparse turnout at 8am, and there was only one touchscreen booth that seemed to be out of service when I was voting.

I saw at least a half dozen Gray campaigners and only one Fenty guy. The Gray people were very obnoxious, trying to shove pamphlets into my hand as if I'm going to base my decision on a leaflet I read two minutes before casting my ballot.

Anonymous said...

This morning at Bell Multicultural High School, which is where precinct 39 is located, security guards were requiring ID to enter the building and turning voters away who did not have it. Under DC law, ID is NOT required to vote. I reported it to BOEE and finally got a hold of someone who was not a total idiot. Supposedly BOEE lawyers were made aware of the problem and informed officials at Bell that they are NOT to be checking ID. If anyone else experiences this problem, please call 202-727-2194.

Jon said...

I voted at the Latin American Youth Center just before 1pm. No lines, and everyone was helpful.

Anonymous said...

voted at Cesar Chavez around 8am. No problems. Candidate workers were mellow, but i did ignore them so maybe that is why.

I received two ballots, which was odd i thought. I gave the extra one back. it wouldn't have mattered because they had a worker watching you submit your ballot.

Jamie said...

I voted in Columbia Heights at some church on 13th Street. They had a single touch-screen machine, which I used.

I have to say, I don't see how the touch screen is progress. It involves many more steps than the paper process and takes much longer. While it wasn't confusing, the screen itself didn't work especially well, so I had to press several times, very hard, to make it work sometimes.

There was one person ahead of me to use the machine, and it took them five minutes. It didn't take me that long, but it definitely took me way longer than a paper ballot, and in the same time that I waited for one person, a dozen people went through and did paper ballots.

What exactly is improved with these machines? They are slow, they are always controversial because they could be subject to tampering more easily, and I am sure they are expensive and maintenance prone.

After my first experience with them I've gotta say this is an example of trying to fix something that isn't broken. Sometimes simple is better.

Anonymous said...

Voted at the Boys and Girls club on 14th and Clifton. In and out in 10 minutes. There was a line for special ballots but my registration was all in order so I breezed through. Earlier this summer I received a new voter card with a bar code and instructions to bring it to the polling place. No one ever asked to see the card. At 8:10am I was the 90th paper ballot scanned. Both Gray and Fenty supporters outside. No hassles.