In addition, people who sign Casey Trees "25 to Stay Alive" pledge that you'll water your trees get a free watering gauge. They have these tips too:
- Install slow-release watering bags. Watering bags ensure the tree receives the correct amount of water, shortens watering time and reduces water runoff. Free Ooze Tubes are available for pickup at Casey Trees’ downtown office during normal business hours.
- Make a slow-release watering device. Add holes to the bottom of a bucket and place at the base of a tree. Fill, then walk away.
- Get creative in transporting water. Connect multiple hoses and use buckets and old water cooler jugs to get water to trees. Lighten the weight of buckets and jugs by moving them in a wheelbarrow or wagon.
- Turn your hose on low for a half hour. Stay or walk away, just remember to turn off the water after 30 minutes.
- Mulch. Mulching helps to keep soil moist and discourages summer weeds. Apply using the 3-3-3 Rule - 3 inches of mulch in a 3 foot ring with a 3 inch space around the trunk.