* Three fruit and vegetable growers -- Chesley Farms, Dragonfly Farms and Licking Creek Bend Farm. All of these produce growers accept WIC and SFMNP vouchers.
* Flower grower -- Dragonfly Farms
* Sausage maker -- Stachowski Charcuterie
* Eggs from pasture-raised chickens and ducks -- Twin Post Farm
* Two bakers -- Bonaparte Breads and Upper Crust Artisanal Breads
* A creamery featuring cheese and yogurt from pasture-raised cows -- Chapel's Country Creamery
* Artisanal gelato made with in-season fruit from local farms and organically produced milk from Pennsylvania -- Dolcezza Gelato
1. This Saturday will feature a DJ bringing you tunes from from 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
2. HELP. We're in search of one or two people to lead a bike clinic at the Marketplace every Saturday or every other Saturday. Please send us an e-mail if you know of anyone who might be interested in this.
3. Common Good City Farm (commongoodcityfarm.org) will bring its message of sustainable urban agriculture to our community service space this weekend. Look for them in the center of the plaza action tomorrow morning.
As far as yummy food is concerned, look for the following and more on Saturday:
* Chesley Farms will have red raspberries, black raspberries, plants (vegetable and herb), sweet cherries (white & black), sour cherries (ONE WEEK ONLY IN ALL LIKELIHOOD), lettuce, spinach, swiss chard, spring onions, garlic scapes and broccoli.
* Dragonfly Farms will have pickling cucumbers, more hothouse tomatoes, the last of the English peas, small green and some yellow zucchini, maybe beets with greens, red potatoes, small white potatoes and sunflowers.
* Bonaparte Breads will feature baguettes,, croissants, palmiers, tarts and many other yummy breads and pastries.
* Chapel's Country Creamery will bring an assortment of cheddar cheeses, Bay Bleu cheese, a younger milder French-style cheese, Chappelle, that can be used to replace mozzarella in a tomato salad, for example. Chapel's also will feature two different types of yogurt -- honey and maple.
* Stachowski Charcuterie will feature a whole bunch of yumminess. This includes lamb mergueze, made with North African spices and lamb sausage, ideally served over couscous or rice, fresh kielbasa flavored with marjoram and garlic. This classic Polish recipe goes well with mustard and onions or sauerkraut. Or, try the English bangers.
* Meanwhile, Dolcezza Gelato will bring its wide variety of artisanal gelato. The cucumber gelato would make a nice topping on gazpacho soup. Or, take the cucumber mint vodka gelato and pour in a little vodka to make a cool and refreshing cocktail.
* Licking Creek Bend Farm will bring apricots (not a lot, so get there early), basil, dill, thyme, mint, four varieties of summer squash, mustard greens, Bing and Queen Anne cherries, Napa cabbage, broccoli, turnips with greens, scallions, arugula and peas...
Friday, June 18, 2010
Columbia Heights Community Market update for this weekend
Here's the update from the CHCM folks. The market is this Saturday from 9 am to 2 pm. Some tasty food, DJs, and more.