Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The Presidential helicopter circling the neighborhood



Last week, on the morning of the 6th, I noticed that the Presidential helicopter was circling the neighborhood. The helicopter itself is not unusual to see, but to see it circling was -- it was a good 15 minutes, from about Irving to Fairmont. Maybe Obama was checking out the area? Or maybe the chopper was just waiting to land and the president wasn't in it -- his schedule doesn't mention any trips. In any case, thought it was interesting.

7 comments:

Amy said...

I've seen it circling several times lately, in the mornings and afternoons. In fact, yesterday afternoon it was circling. I find it quite strange. I can understand police helicopters, but Marine One?

MK said...

I saw it too. Maybe it's one of the decoys waiting to join up with the "real" Marine One?

Anonymous said...

Definitely a decoy waiting around for the real Marine One--the president's helicopter never flies solo when he's in it.

Anonymous said...

they always fly 3. standard protocol when potus is in the air.

Anonymous said...

Really? I see it all the time over Columbia Heights, i believe its likely a holding pattern for one of the decoys to meet up with the proper Marine One or whoever else it might be when said helicopter leaves the White House. Its pretty cool if I do say so, Marine One could hang out above my house all day. Maybe not all day bit its cool.

Bex said...

Do you know anything about Wed evening with all the helis flying over that look like Marine One. I think I counted 14 or so. I think it had something to do with Karzai being in town.

Scott said...

I used to work at home on Euclid street and Marine one is quite common overhead. I've always presumed it's the decoy, though occasionally I see the choppers heading to or returning from what I presume is Camp David on the weekends. Col Hghts would be on the flight path to Camp David, I'm guessing.