Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Rita's is closed, won't be reopening this season



The other day it was nice out and I walked by Rita's, the ice cream and frozen custard place on the Columbia Heights Civic Plaza. I noticed they had a black sheet over the window, and next door there was a for lease sign. I hoped the lease sign was for Score!, the test prep place, and maybe Rita's just wasn't open for the season yet -- last year, they opened in March.

Turns out, they're closed. The "scuttlebutt" on Prince of Petworth a few weeks ago was that they might be reopening across the street in DCUSA, but I emailed the company today asking what happened to the store and they said "we do not anticipate it reopening this season." When I asked specifically about DCUSA, they said they were in the process of opening 3 locations, none of which are anywhere near DCUSA.

PoP later said that a frozen yogurt place called Fro-Yo would be opening in Rita's old space on the Civic Plaza sometime this summer.

I'd rather have Rita's.

6 comments:

ZT said...

that's super sad. they needed a better year-round plan to succeed there.

Andrew said...

Agreed. I was a big fan. Frozen yogurt, not so much.

LMom said...

Say it ain't so! We used to drive in from Chevy Chase to go to Rita's!

Anonymous said...

Kind of a bummer--I'm a huge fan but really did wonder about the viability of the business in that location: only open for summer months in relatively expensive urban real estate plus very slow through put selling the product. I was convinced that it was just a money laundering front. Albeit one with really really good frozen stuff.

IMGoph said...

thanks for taking the time to actually research the issue here instead of relying on hearsay. much appreciated!

Andrew said...

Sure thing!