Tuesday, December 8, 2009

What We're Missing: A bookstore

This was mentioned in the last open-ended What We're Missing post, but I think it's worth repeating -- wouldn't it be nice to have a bookstore in the neighborhood? I contacted local chain Olsson's about it a awhile ago (when they were still in business) but that's obviously off the table now since they are bankrupt.

But I think it'd be a good idea -- maybe a bookstore and cafe or coffee shop would be best, since local independent bookstores are not always doing too well lately. Selling CDs would be cool too.

As far as I know, the only place in the neighborhood that has both is Target, and their selections are lacking -- mainly the bestsellers. Target does, however, have a nice selection of classic books for about 6 bucks each -- I got Fahrenheit 451 there.

Some good models for the bookstore would be Sankofa Bookstore and Cafe on Georgia Avenue, The Potter's House in Adams Morgan, or Afterwords/Kramerbooks in that they sell books and have a cafe or coffeeshop.

I wouldn't mind a Borders type either, but an independent one would be best, in my opinion.

Photo by brewbooks


Jason said...

I wouldn't mind a video game store. Game Stop or something like that too. Target and Best Buy don't carry all games and they don't have any used games either.

A bookstore would be amazing though. That first.

Alex said...

Sadly the rise of Kindle and other such ensures this is increasingly unlikely.

Oh, we also need a really good deli. I won't be happy til I can get an Italian sub. A good one, I mean.

Insert Username Here said...

I know the perfect place for the bookstore: right between the typewriter repair shop and the dirigible ticket office. I hope they provide hitching posts for their customers who arrive on horseback.

john said...

Hey Folks,

Love the dialog here.

Just an FYI.

BloomBars has a small selection of music from local and other musicians who have played in the space. We hope to have a larger selection in the future.

Andrew said...

Thanks John, did not know that. That would be great!

dcgirl6 said...

Hate to be a nay sayer but a bookstore would quickly close in this neighborhood. I used to be a buyer at Olsson's and if we could not survive in Penn Quarter and in Dupont (with an older customer base that actually bought real books), no way could a bricks and mortar bookstore survive in Columbia Heights. Unfortunate but true.