Wednesday, December 9, 2009

A lot of excitement for Chipotle

As you may know, the Chipotle on 14th Street opens on Friday the 11th. It seems like most people fall into two camps: those who can't wait, and those who really don't care at all.

However, it seems like the excited folks outnumber the others -- here are some samples from Twitter, for example: @24GoldenChild "When the #Chipotle in Columbia Heights opens I'ma be out there dancing around in aluminum foil HEAD TO TOE!!!" @Starmoon "Hollerrrrr. Grand opening of #Chipotle Columbia Heights is THIS Friday!!!" with a photo. Anything I've written about Chipotle has also been retweeted like crazy.

To be honest I'm a little surprised about it. I like Chipotle a lot, and I'm looking forward to it, but it's not like there aren't burritos elsewhere in the neighborhood -- Pollo Campero has them, for example, and there are other good Latin American joints in Mt. Pleasant and up 14th Street, like Taqueria Distrito Federal.

Is it because the burritos are quick, and thus an easy lunch or after work dinner? Is it quality control, or the size? If you're a Chipotle fan, let me know why you're so excited. Or if you're an anti-Chipotler, give us some alternatives.

11 comments:

Max K. said...

I love Chipotle because you can have your burrito made the way your want (less rice, more chicken, extra pico de gallo etc). Plus the flavor...I don't know what they put there, but it always tastes so darn good. I would always choose Chipotle over other burrito joints like Qdoba, Baja Fresh etc.

emma discovery said...

I agree with Max - the customization is a plus, and since their nutrition info is available, you can make smarter choices there. And TDF, at least, doesn't have guacamole, which I need like I need air.

Anonymous said...

Come on, people, there are so many good and locally owned burrito places in the neighborhood. Burrito Fast on Mount Pleasant and DF on 14th just to name two. I don't mind chipotle when there isn't any other choice, but we have so many great restaurants in the hood, why go a second rate chain?

Anonymous said...

I'm not trying to be a apologist, but Chipotle *does* buy locally grown/raised produce and meats.

I still think Pepitos Supertacos on Columbia Rd has the best burritos in that area.

Anonymous said...

Its very different from all the places you listed. There are gringo burritos like Chipotle, which are awesome for some occasions. There are non-gringo options like the ones you listed, which are awesome for other occasions. Burrito options are good, particularly when they are as diverse as the ones we have.

Pru said...

The one thing I can think of that makes me love Chipotle gringo burritos over the non-gringo burrito alternatives is the rice's tanginess. I don't really like the mushy reddish rice in burritos from other places.

Anonymous said...

burrriittooossssssss

Sara said...

I like Chipotle because I am sure that my veggie burrito is actually vegetarian. I've discovered stealth chicken broth/fat in both rice and beans at local joints before (not in DC), and have had trouble figuring out what I can and cannot eat due to language barriers.

If anyone can vouch for local vegetarian choices, I would happily check it out!

Edward DC said...

It's the customization, the quality, the open kitchen... I love me some Chipotle.

And Chipotle is owned by McD's said...

Unfortunately it kind of underscores Columbia Heights as one of the backwaters of the District that people are this excited over a chain restaurant. It reminds me of the way yahoos in some godforsaken exurb might anticipate the coming of a new Walmart.

Max K. said...

Actually, Chipotle is not owned by McDonald's anymore.

"In the past, McDonald's Corporation owned a majority interest in Chipotle. McDonald's has since sold their entire stake in Chipotle; full divestment was completed in October 2006."