Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Change in leadership at MPD's 3rd District

Looks like the head of the MPD's 3rd District, which covers Columbia Heights and surrounding areas, is changing. On the 3D Listserve, the current commander, George Kucik, posted this:
Effective Sunday, December 20, 2009, I will be assigned to the Forensic Science Division. Jacob Kishter will take over as Commander of the Third District. Commanding the Third District has been one of the most challenging yet most rewarding assignments in my career. I have had an opportunity to work with many agencies, associations, neighborhood groups, and individual citizens and I thank each and every one of them for their support and assistance.

I wish everyone a happy, safe Holiday season.
Kishter came to 3D in June after apparently being demoted (according to the Examiner), and I haven't seen anything else about this most recent change, so it's impossible to tell if this is just a promotion or something else. There hasn't been much negative said about Kishter as far as I have seen, and using the city's Crime Map website, it looks like crime in the neighborhood has gone down over the past year for the most part.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The move has nothing to do a demotion. The inspector at Forensic Science Division recently retired and I think because Kucik used to be detailed to Forensics, he was a good fit for the position. There has been a new list of people who passed promotional exams so there's movement all over the department right now. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Andrew said...

Thanks, glad to hear it.