Monday, September 21, 2009

Sidewalks under construction all over


Sidewalks
Originally uploaded by squidpants
Looks like the Columbia Heights Streetscape Project has moved onto the sidewalks in the area too. I've seen construction on 14th Street and Kenyon so far, with other ones already done or in the works.

It seems like they're widening the sidewalks, though that might just be an optical illusion based on the new pavers and such, though the website doesn't say anything about widening (which would thus mean narrowing the streets).

But anyway, the new pavers look good. Your thoughts?

3 comments:

The AMT said...

I like the new pavers, for now, anyway. I'm not crazy about the fact that they blend together with the sandy colored bricks at DC USA and Highland Park, but mostly I like them.

They've definitely widened the sidewalk on the east side of 14th, too, which will be very nice.

Anonymous said...

It is not an optical illusion. I have been monitoring the construction from above in Kenyon Square and they have definitely widened the sidewalks along 14th street and Kenyon Street by about 4 to 5 feet.

lynzele said...

That makes me more than thrilled. When I moved up from Logan Circle one of the things that I missed the most was the Carabou on Rhode Island and 14th where you could sit and people watch with a paper and a coffee. The starbucks in Kenyon square has tried to do outdoor seating, but it is a bit cramped. I think that making the road narrower, the sidewalk wider, and adding trees will do alot towards making that sidewalk more pleasant and humane.