Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Is cornhole the national game of Columbia Heights?

Lately I keep seeing people around the neighborhood playing cornhole, the game commonly seen at tailgate parties where you throw a bean bag into a hole in a wooden ramp. These folks were out on Saturday at 13th and Irving, and I've also seen people playing in the Tubman School playground. Commenters on my Flickr page have said they saw folks playing on the sidewalk on Monroe Street.

Could just be the same people, but if so, they sure like to travel. Plus I think the folks I saw at Tubman had red boards, so I think it's different players. Anybody else notice this game around? I played at the Bullpen bar outside the Nationals Ballpark the other day and it was pretty fun.

14 comments:

The AMT said...

I saw this same group on Saturday. It was kind of weird, since they were playing with what was very clearly a University of Michigan set of boards and bags, during the Michigan-Indiana game, but they were all very obvious Carolina fans. I wonder if there's a dead wolverine around somewhere.

Anonymous said...

How could anything be the "national" game of a neighborhood? Neighborhoods aren't nations. Makes no sense.

Clearly "cornhole" is a popular game for college students, frat boys, and recent grads, all of whom make up a small minority of CH people, so I'd say the answer is "no."

The neighborhood game for CH is probably "drinking on the corner".

Andrew said...

It's hyperbole, anon.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jason B said...

on my block the past time is washing your car.

MandarinZazz said...

Agree with Anonymous:

The neighborhood game for CH is probably "drinking on the corner".

Anonymous said...

Don't forget "smoking weed on the corner, and leaving your junk food wrappers in other people's front laws." Also a very popular game around here.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Andrew said...

I'm going to delete personal attacks.

Anonymous said...

rob g wrote that. i speak in 3rd person.

Rob said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Rob G has multiple personalities.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Butt Cobra = Blog Police