Tuesday, September 1, 2009

First impressions of Social, the new restaurant

Some friends and I headed over to Social, the new restaurant at 14th and Meridian, on Saturday, which was their first day. It was a little strange, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt since it was so early. The place has a downstairs bar and a smallish upstairs dining room (pictured here).

The bartenders were friendly enough downstairs and some friends got food, though I got there late and didn't get to try any. They said the baby lamb lollipops (which have been mentioned a lot) were quite tasty, but the tuna was kind of odd -- it was supposed to come with sesame crackers, but it didn't, so it was just a lump of tuna. But I'll rack that up to first day kinks.

The upstairs, however, was kind of odd. For one, it kind of seemed like we were sitting in a furniture showroom, and there were lots of family portraits on one wall, which seemed kind of out of place. Then again, it was about 6 pm and still light out, so that could make any restaurant-lounge seem a little odd.

The mixed drinks were a mixed bag -- I got a variation of a Manhattan with grenadine, which was pretty good, though my friends' drinks were weird -- one had mango, pepper and cucumber, while the other was some kind of fruity thing with basil. Unfortunately the menu on the website is different from what we had. I don't know if what's on the website is new or old. Rail drinks were only $5, which is pretty good, though the cheapest beer was $5 Bud Light.

So it was a brief look, but I'll give it another go. Some folks commented on their experiences on the earlier post; anybody else go?

13 comments:

Nithya said...

Went for happy hour last night. Got a $5 cocktail with Firefly in it which was quite good, actually. She kept saying what a great deal it was, because it's a "TEN DOLLAR cocktail you're drinking there." The downstairs has a bit of a strange vibe to it, as the floor and ceilings still have an unfinished industrial look. The walls have a strange collection of art, including Christopher Reeve, next to a photo of a random baby. Overall, I'll go back because it's at the end of my block, but it's nothing to write home about.

Anonymous said...

I went. Food sucked. They are so caught up in their concept that they forgot the basics. Won't be going again for a long time.

Anonymous said...

I went last night to Social and had a great time. I had the apple and arugula salad, bbq shrimp, and crabcake sliders. The sliders could have used more of the sauce but it was all very good. IMO, everyone else dining upstairs seemed to enjoy their meal.

I happen to like the concept, the idea of a drawn out meal is European and cool. I hate being rushed out the door at restaurants.

The picture comment almost made me pee my pants, I actually saw the "Christopher Reeve" picture and had asked about both of those (in the cellar i think) and the bartender told me she thought they were pics of one of the owners.

Why are people so snarky? If you walk into a restaurant wanting to be negatively critical you WILL have a bad experience, it's that simple.

Brian said...

So, in summary, New Columbia Heights thinks Social is 'Odd.'

Andrew said...

and weird and strange.

Anonymous said...

I'm the one who said the food sucked @ the other anon. I said that because well - the food sucked. I didn't walk in wanting to pay for a bad meal, I wanted to like it. But it was really legitimately bad. The pork sliders were dry as dirt.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should give it another shot, it hasn't even been open a week.

Andrew said...

I plan on it, as I said in the post.

Andrew said...

unless you were responding to the other anon!

Anonymous said...

That mango, pepper, cucumber drink is fantastic! It manages to be a fresh fruit alcoholic drink without tasting like a too-sweet smoothie. It's fruity AND adult. I loved it!

Anonymous said...

I effing loved this place when I went. Loved the Superfly, loved the atmosphere, effing loved the food! You should give it another go

Jessica said...

Nice blog!! Get the different varieties of baby furniture that are available in spacify to choose the best one for your baby.

Anonymous said...

This is a great, classy little place--relaxed but elegant. You can hang out with friends but it's a nice place to come on a date. I loved the concept of micro dining, especially since groups are made up of varying appetites. Loved the salad, the risotto and the deserts are to die for!!!! I also thought the prices were very reasonble. I'm gong back.