Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Weird new real estate site

The other day I got a link to a site called BlockShopper, which shows information about people buying houses in various neighborhoods around the country. They use public information, like name of buyer, the cost, and the address, but then they Google the folks and put more information, like where the person works, their photo, their resume, etc. It's pretty strange and weird.

I guess the idea is for home buyers and owners to see what sort of people are buying, as their FAQ says "For home buyers, we built BlockShopper to be the ultimate objective resource, meant to give you the intelligence edge. Before you make the biggest purchase of your life, you cannot afford not do due diligence here." Seems to me that there could be a possibility for something negative to happen.

The site's FAQ says they won't take information down if requested, and they've been sued by a law firm, though the suit seems kind of specious - they sued the site for trademark infringement, and BlockShopper settled.

I guess the site is legal, but it's pretty creepy.

2 comments:

Tim said...

creeeeeeeepy! especially the foreclosure listings! i wouldn't want that info published without my permission. especially photos ans links to my personal websites.

i'll have to look ino this, but i'm not sure all of what they are doing is legal. certainly not tactful; that is if the written about parties haven't granted consent. ESPECIALLY for photographs taken elsewhere.

jonat said...

Hello everyone
Just recently I have discovered that this BS company is putting my name and address online without any authorization, now anyone with google can find my name from my address and vice versa. i have contacted them to remove the info but they declined forcing me to move on to the next step ie file an official complaint. Anyone had this problem too?