Monday, December 29, 2008

Sankofa Bookstore and Cafe

The other day I was going to the Enterprise Rent-A-Car on Georgia Ave (which is pretty handy, by the way) and wanted some coffee. I saw a place on Georgia just south of Girard called Sankofa, and stopped in. It's a nice little spot. It's an African bookstore with a little cafe and it's about a year old according to the barista. The guy was friendly and gave me a tasty Americano for the same price as a regular coffee, and they also had day-old muffins for a buck. I picked up a chocolate one and it was very tasty. They also had sandwiches and stuff, plus other drinks, and rent films as well.

Anyway, pay them a visit. They're at 2714 Georgia Ave NW, between Fairmont and Girard. Here's their website and their Yelp page (which has the wrong address).

4 comments:

albionroad said...

Their sandwiches are also outstanding.

Anonymous said...

Yep! That's a cool place. And it's older than a year because it was already here when I moved here almost two years ago.

Andrew said...

I was wondering about that - he might have meant just the cafe part.

Max said...

Agree that Sankofa is a real gem. Second Albionroad on the sandwiches. My favorites are the Kathleen Collins and the Spike Lee. They have fresh and delicious smoothies as well.