Monday, September 8, 2008

Changes at Mayorga

Looks like things are afoot for Mayorga at 14th and Park. Prince of Petworth has been reporting on it a lot - basically, the coffee shop downstairs is closed, and will be reopening as a sushi joint. Apparently it was a franchise. I can't say it's shocking, as the place never had anybody in it when I was there and had a weird atmosphere, but they did have good coffee and drinks, like the s'mores mocha.

The upstairs place will still be serving Korean food, as our Robyn Mincher reported on awhile ago. And apparently it's pretty good. The rumor is that the coffee and espresso-making equipment was leased to Carvel/Cinnabon next door.

Somewhere I saw a mention that the owner of Mayorga (or maybe the owner of the Tivoli) said this change was a breach of contract between them and the franchisee, but I can't find it now. So stay tuned.

10 comments:

Jill said...

I am kind of sad because I really liked their breakfast sandwiches (even though they were a little pricey). It does mean better business at Columbia Heights Coffee, though. I'd rather see them do well!

Anonymous said...

Is the place really still open? There seems to be no activity at all over there. I saw the thing in the CityPaper about the breach of contract and assumed it was shut down for good.

Andrew said...

I don't think it's open yet. I'll look into it. Thanks for the City Paper mention, I knew I had read that somewhere.

Anonymous said...

here it is:

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com
/blogs/citydesk/2008/09/03/
more-on-mayorga/

Anonymous said...

aw man... i just moved from col hghts and used to love mayorga... guess i gotta settle for crapbucks

Anonymous said...

This place sucks!
service sucks.
price sucks.
all around awful.
I hear they do not use gloves to make food nor do they wash them.

jane said...

EWWW!
I ate their before, gross not going back again. Service sucked anyway. The people running it have no clue what they are doing.

Andrew said...

when did you see that stuff?

Anonymous said...

Oh I know. First hand. I can not reveal my identity. The Koreans have a secret alliance which I rather not get involved with.

Andrew said...

Look, if people keep posting stuff like this without any context, I'm going to make it so that only registered people can comment. The comments are not so you can push some agenda by posting a bunch of times under different fake names.